Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday's Meal

My ds's birthday is fast approaching so I've been thinking a lot about cake. Should I bake one or should I buy one. M. is a true chocolate lover and would probably rather have chocolate than just about anything else. I think I will make this cake for his birthday(which happens to be on a Thursday) and plan to buy the cake for his birthday party which will be on the following Saturday. As I was flipping through my recipes I remembered this one and recall how deliciously chocolate it is and how the whipped layers add an extra special something to this doctored up wonder. Anyway, why don't you try it and enjoy it with a nice tall glass of cold milk.

Chocolate Candy Bar Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
4 (1.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate candy, coarsely chopped



Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 (8 inch) pans.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, milk, eggs, oil and instant vanilla pudding mix. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
To make the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with the white sugar and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Fold in the whipped topping, pecans and chopped chocolate. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a scrumptious recipe. I particularly like the sound of the frosting. I'm always on the lookout for a really good frosting recipe. I like mine pretty sweet! I'd be pleased if you felt like sharing your recipe (and even a photo of your finished cake when you've made it) with my chocolate loving site visitors at Chocolate Candy Mall. Thanks again for the delicious idea!

Brandy said...

This is the cake that my mom makes and it is the bomb.

Brandy