Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Decorating Diva

So earlier in the summer I wrote about my efforts to purge and organize my home. It's been slow going, but I have made a bit of progress. I acquired a few pieces that have made things easier, neater and more organized. I also looked around my home and found new uses for some old pieces. I shopped my garage for a few items. And, I even dumpster dove...ok, I actually just stopped at the curb and got something that was lying waiting for trash pickup, but still, it's a form of dumpster diving right? My recent acquisitions include the buffet I scored from Craigslist, the wine rack/bar, a new king size mattress, a newish fridge (what a killer dealer, I saved $1000 literally, woohoo, gotta love that) and a dumpster dove executive style folding table that I set up for my sewing stuff and to cut fabric on. It's working out great. I still want to get an armoire. I'm in negotiations with someone on Craigslist so I'll let you know how that goes.
Now I'm ready to start on the soft pieces. I want new curtains, pillows, slipcovers for the living room. I'm going to recover a headboard for the bedroom, perhaps make a quilt (gasp!) or duvet. I've been hunting fabric stores for the perfect fabric, but for now have decided to shop my stash...we'll see what I come up.
I already started sewing the curtains. I'm making them from this red fabric from Waverly that I got from a thrift store. I wasn't exactly 100% in love with it (although I do love red), but I loved the price. I had originally planned to make slipcovers for my couch and loveseat from it, but I think curtains are probably a much better option. I've already cut out all the panels and surged the ends, Now I just need to hem them and make the rod pocket. I picked up new window hardware on clearance from JA's. Hopefully by the time my mom comes to visit in a couple of weeks, the place will be spiffy. Wish me luck!

0 comments: